Monday, September 8, 2008

Recent Project -- Fire Agate Ring

I had never seen fire agate until a trip out west about a year and a half ago. I became mesmerized by their bright colors and bubbly, blurby patterns. I've picked up a few since then, but have always been a bit intimidated by their uneven surface. Fear of setting them kept me from using them.

This ring was not only my first project with that stone, but with argentium sterling as well. Argentium sterling alloys germanium with the pure silver instead of copper. Because there are no copper oxides, there is no firescale. In addition, the germanium on the surface of the metal resists tarnish.

The mokume gane ring band is an agate pattern in copper and argentium. Argentium square wire is place on the top and bottom of the ring band.

My attempt at faux granulation with the 22k gold balls failed a bit due to repeated firing under the torch. I would attempt to affix all the granules at one time moving forward instead of risking melting as happened a bit here.

As an aside, this web site is worth checking out for it's very 1996 web-tastic graphics and layout.

No comments: